Monday, November 3, 2014

Cover Concepts: November 2 - 8

Happy Monday! Welcome to the feature Cover Concepts on my blog. Every Monday I am going to create a post with all of the young adult book covers that are releasing within the week. I will then tell you all what I think about the covers; If I love them, or if I think that they could be better. At the end of the post, I will give you all a chance to vote on your favorite cover of the week. As I pick a lot of my reads based on their covers, this seemed like the perfect feature for me to begin on the blog. Feel free to leave comments with your opinions of the covers as well, and we can discuss them! :]

This Week: It seems like we have another huge release week for YA books. There are a lot of books coming out this week that I have already heard a lot about, so they must have quite a bit of hype. Because of the number of releases (about 21) I probably will not provide every single cover, but I will include several of them. Enjoy! 

1. Dangerous Deceptions by Sarah Zettel - November 4
Palace of Spies #2
Thoughts: Compared to the first book in the series, I definitely prefer this cover. The first one had the model really close up, and I am not a fan of that. Still, this is not even close to being a favorite cover of mine. I don't like how the cards look; it looks like she was not actually holding them, but instead they were added in later. The font is okay, though I am not in love with the angle of it.

2. Mortal Heart by Robin LaFevers - November 4
His Fair Assassin #3
Thoughts: The covers of this series are absolutely gorgeous! I have heard so much about this series lately, and I do think that some of it might have to do with how great the covers are (maybe that's just me, though). This cover does make me want to pick up the whole series, though.

3. Killer Instinct by Jennifer Lynn Barnes - November 4
The Naturals #2
Thoughts: Lots of sequels seem to be releasing this week, which is awesome. Once again, I think that this cover is way better than the first one in the series. I think that the playing card is really neat, and the bloody fingerprint is a great touch. Along with that, I think that the title font is really cool.

4. A Thousand Pieces of You by Claudia Gray - November 4
Firebird #1
Thoughts: I am in LOVE with this cover. I have been since I first saw it released, actually. I think that the colors are gorgeous, I love how it looks watercolored. I also think it is very interesting to have the two different cities reflecting one another. I think that this is really well done.

5. Forbidden by Kimberley Griffiths Little - November 4
Thoughts: I must be honest, red is not a favorite of mine, so my initial instinct is to look passed this book. However, the cover is quite pretty once I stop to look at it. The only thing that really bothers me is the gold down the side that makes me think of those old Disney books with the gold spines...now that's all I can think about when I look at it.

6. Crashland by Sean Williams - November 4
Twinmaker #2
Thoughts: Is this the first release of this book? I feel like I've seen it before, but perhaps I'm just crazy (that's likely). It does match the first one in the series, but I think the first one looks better. Perhaps I just like this effect better in the black shades than in the white/red like this. The tagline is over used, and the blurring makes the girl look pretty strange.

7. Empire of Shadows by Miriam Forster - November 4
Bhinian Empire #2
Thoughts: This cover is just as wonderful as the first book in the series, and it makes me wonder why I still haven't picked up said first book so that I can read this once when it releases this week. I think that the colors and details are beautiful, and I'm sure that those symbols at the bottom have some sort of meaning...

8. Visitors by Orson Scott Card - November 4
Pathfinders #3
Thoughts: Well, it matches the first two books in the series...almost exactly. I think they just change the angle of the sword/knife and change the background color and call it done. I can't say that I'm a fan of them.

9. The Retribution of Mara Dyer by Michelle Hodkin - November 4
Mara Dyer #3
Thoughts: Once again, it definitely matches the other books in the series. I know that tons of people are looking forward to this one. I think that the cover is fine, though the first one in the series is still my favorite. I do think that it's interesting, and we can't see their faces, so it has those things going for it.

10. The Walled City by Ryan Graudin - November 4
Thoughts: I am actually really disappointed with this cover. I think that it had a different one before that I preferred much, much more than this one. This one is just way too bland, and I think that the title is much bigger than it needs to be. There just isn't anything exciting here since it's all the same colors and mostly words.

11. Waistcoats and Weaponry by Gail Carriger - November 4
Finishing School #3
Thoughts: These covers are all spectacular. I want them on my shelves ASAP. This one isn't my favorite of the three, but it's definitely still amazing.

Which covers are your favorites this week?

1 comment:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
 
Imagination Designs